Dental Hygienist Government of Yukon -> Health & Social Services – Community Health, Dental Health Location: Whitehorse, YT Requisition: #26362 Salary: $73,295 – $84,937 per annum Closing date: April 19, 2021 AMENDMENT – The salary for this position was re-classed from an ST11 to ST13. This competition is open to all candidates who meet the above noted Admissibility. A hiring preference will apply for qualified candidates of Canadian Aboriginal ancestry, with a priority for qualified Yukon First Nation candidates. This initiative is in support of Yukon government’s goal for a representative public service. For more information on the hiring preference, visit http://www.yukon.ca/hiring-preference. This is an until-filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest. This posting will be used to fill 2 term, full-time positions (to February 28, 2022), working 75 hours biweekly. This competition will also be used to fill anticipatory permanent positions that may become available.
Who We Are The Yukon Children’s Dental Program, comprised of Dental Therapists and Dental Hygienists, provides comprehensive diagnostic, preventative and restorative dental services to preschool and school-aged children in Whitehorse and throughout rural Yukon. The Dental Hygienists will deliver preventative dental procedures that include placing temporary fillings, fissure sealants and Silver diamine fluoride (SDF). Hygienists are part of a team that is committed to improving the oral health of all Yukon children. For more information on Yukon Territory, visit: Travel Yukon. What We Offer The Government of Yukon has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and Top Employers for Canadians over 40.
Along with generous leave benefits, the Government of Yukon offers:
- A defined benefit pension plan with phased-in work options for those nearing retirement.
- Ongoing employee development with tuition subsidies as well as a recently launched online learning platform called YGLearn, which features a variety of mobile-friendly course offerings.
- Competitive travel per diems for assigned work travel.
Per Diems can typically range anywhere between $5,000 to $10,000 per year for this Dental Hygienist position, depending on the amount travelled:
- For more information on the comprehensive list of benefits and perks, explore our website: Yukon Benefits and Pension. For more information about this position, please contact Lorna Arsenault, Manager, Yukon Children’s Dental Program, at 867-336-2395, or Lorna.Arsenault@yukon.ca, or Jaime Strachan, Human Resources Consultant, at (867) 332-5768, or Jaime.Strachan@yukon.ca.
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note selection for further consideration will be based on the information you provide in your resume; ensure you use a month/year to month/year format.
- Current Canadian licensure as a Dental Hygienist
- Graduation from an accredited Dental Hygiene Program
- Practical work experience at full capacity as a Dental Hygienist
- Experience providing clinical dental treatment to children will be considered an asset
- Experience working in a public health setting or involvement in public health initiatives (e.g., toothbrush exchange programs, public education initiatives, etc.) is an asset
- Training in, and experience with, Interim Stabilization Therapy (IST) will be considered an asset Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
- Understanding of, and adherence to, the Dental Hygienists’ Code of Ethics & Code of Conduct
- Excellent written and oral communication skills • Ability to effectively plan and time-manage a large, diverse workload
- Strong ability to build and maintain effective relationships through collaboration with colleagues and clients
- Strong ability and confidence to work autonomously
- Excellent approach in working with children and families
- Ability to advocate, promote, and educate clients and the public about oral health/hygiene
Conditions of Employment:
- Valid class 5 driver’s licence
- Security clearance with vulnerable sectors
- CPR certificate, to be obtained within 6 months of hire
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods certificate, to be obtained within 6 months
- Valid Yukon Dental Hygiene Licensure and registration prior to hire
- Extensive travel throughout Yukon may be required (up to 1-3 weeks per trip)
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Be comfortable working with young children (preschool and school-age)
Learn more about us! We are the Yukon public service. Every day, we come together to serve the people who live here, and to make a difference in so many ways—from simple to extraordinary and everything in between. Here, you will find the diverse opportunities you desire to develop your career while enjoying a warm sense of community and vibrant artistic, cultural and recreational amenities, all set in a spectacular natural environment. Yukon government has been selected as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers since 2014! To learn more about why the Yukon government is recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, please select the following link: http://content.eluta.ca/top-employer-yukon-government To learn more about what Yukon has to offer, check out these links: http://www.employment.gov.yk.ca/yukon_life.html http://www.travelyukon.com How to Apply To apply for the position of Dental Hygienist, and for full details on the requirements of the role, please visit: https://yukon.ca/en/employment. \”Committed to Employment Equity\”