This is an until–filled competition. Candidates are encouraged not to delay submitting their application as this posting can close at any time with 24-hours posted notice. Resumes will be screened at regular intervals until the position is filled or the competition closes, whichever is earliest.
This posting will be used to fill 2 term full-time positions working 75 hours biweekly. This competition will also be used to fill anticipatory permanent positions that may become available.
Who We Are
The Yukon Children’s Dental Program, comprised of Dental Therapists and Dental Hygienists provides comprehensive diagnostic, preventative and restorative dental services to preschool and school aged children in Whitehorse and throughout rural Yukon. The incumbent will deliver preventative dental procedures that include placing temporary fillings, fissure sealants and Silver diamine fluoride (SDF). Hygienists are part of a team that is committed to improving the oral health of all Yukon children. For more information on Yukon Territory visit: Travel Yukon.
What We Offer
Government of Yukon has been recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and Top Employer for Canadians over 40. Along with generous leave benefits, Government of Yukon offers:
- A defined benefit pension plan with phased-in work options for those nearing retirement.
- Ongoing employee development with tuition subsidies as well as recently launched online learning platform called YGLearn, which features a variety of mobile-friendly course
- Competitive travel per diems for assigned work travel. Per Diems can typically range anywhere between $5,000 to $10,000 per year for this Dental Hygienist position; depending on the amount travelled: Travel
- For more information on the comprehensive list of benefits and perks explore our website: Yukon Benefits and
For more information about the program and being a Dental Hygienist in Yukon, please contact Lorna Arsenault, Manager, Yukon Children’s Dental Program, at 867-336-2395 or Lorna.Arsenault@yukon.ca.
For information on the Yukon Government’s hiring process and this posting, please contact Jaime Strachan, Human Resources Consultant, at (867) 332-5768 or Jaime.Strachan@yukon.ca.
For help on how to apply on this competition, please visit our website https://yukon.ca/en/employment/apply-job or if you have questions about creating your e- recruitment profile email E-Recruitment.email@example.com or phone 867-667-9453.
Please submit your resume clearly demonstrating how you meet the following qualifications. Please note selection for further consideration will be based on the detailed information you provide in your resume; ensure you use a month/year to month/year format.
- Current Canadian licensure as a Dental Hygienist
- Graduate of an accredited Dental Hygiene Program
- Practical work experience at full capacity as a Dental Hygienist
- Experience providing clinical dental treatment to children will be considered an asset
- Experience working in a public health setting or involvement in public health initiatives is an asset (e.g., toothbrush exchange programs, public education initiatives etc.)
- Training and experience with Interim Stabilization Therapy (IST) will be considered an asset
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Suitability
Candidates should have and may be assessed on:
- Understanding and adherence to the Dental Hygienists’ Code of Ethics & Code of Conduct
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to effectively plan and time manage a large, diverse workload
- Strong ability to build and maintain effective relationships through collaboration with colleagues and clients
- Strong ability and confidence to work autonomously
- Excellent approach in working with children and families
- Ability to advocate, promote and educate clients and the public about oral health/hygiene
Conditions of Employment
- Valid class 5 driver’s licence
- Security clearance with vulnerable sectors
- CPR certificate, to be obtained within 6 months of hire
- Transportation of dangerous goods certificate, to be obtained within 6 months
- Valid Yukon Dental Hygiene Licensure and registration prior to hire
Extensive travel throughout the Yukon may be required (up to 1-3 weeks per trip), ability to lift up to 50 lbs, must be comfortable working with young children (preschool and school-age).